Captivating Castles: 5 Reasons To Visit Caernarfon Castle in Wales
Last year (2014) I spent just four weeks in the United Kingdom, in a whiz around road-trip with my parents. We spent one short week in Ireland and the other three covering beautiful spots in England, Scotland and Wales.
One of my favourite parts of exploring the UK was the castles! Any country within the United Kingdom (plus Ireland which is part of the EU) has numerous castles that you can visit! Upon arriving into Wales, there was one castle in particular that was a must-see (and a must-see for you when you make your trip to Wales!).
Caernarfon Castle is located in Caernarfon in the province of Gwynedd in North Wales. It is one of the most impressive castles in the whole of the UK, a renowned UNESCO World Heritage Site and attracts more than 200,000 visitors each year!
5 Fun Facts about Caernarfon Castle
1. In just a short period of time, under the instructions of King Edward I, a significant number of new Welsh Medieval Castles were built or modernised, with Caernarfon Castle being one of them! Caernarfon Castle was the mightiest of the medieval castles in King Edward I “Iron Ring of Castles”
2. Caernarfon Castle was the official residence of King Edward I.
3. The architecture of Caernarfon castle was designed to draw comparisons to Welsh legends and myths.
4. Construction of Caernarfon Castle was started in 1283 and was completed in 1287.
5. Caernarfon Castle was the birthplace of the first Prince of Wales, King Edward I’s son, Edward II, who was crowned in 1301.
5 Reasons Why You should Visit Caernarfon Castle
1. Multiple passages and spiral staircases
The beauty that is Caernarfon Castle is the many adventures to be had and discoveries to be made by exploring the multiple passages and spiral staircases in various parts of the castle! Some of them lead to a dead end, but some of them lead to the top of the castle towers, which brings me to my next reason…
2. Castle Towers
My favourite part of my visit to Caernarfon Castle was the many castle towers: You can climb the stairs to the top and capture some amazing photos of the castle and the surrounds, from multiple perspectives! In addition, you can take a walk around the entirety of the castle from up above, without climbing back down to the ground level!
3. You can visit the exact spot where Prince Charles was crowned the Prince of Wales.
If you love the royal family (and being just a little bit touristy), then you would know that Queen Elizabeth III crowned her son Charles, as the Prince of Wales at Caernarfon Castle. That day in June 1969 at Caernarfon Castle was of great significance in the UK; in the castle you can explore a small display of that special day, including the original chair that Prince Charles sat on!
4. You can capture beautiful photos of the bay area
Caenarfon Castle was designed and constructed on the edge of the bay, an absolute perfect spot! When you climb up to the top of the castle towers at Caernarfon, capture some stunning views of the North Wales bay area. Here are a few photos:
5. Caernarfon Castle is a magnificent piece of architecture, a stunning medieval fortress
The only way to best explain this reason is to showcase my photos of the castle, and hope you are totally inspired to make the trip to North Wales to experience it for yourself!
Where to stay in North Wales
In North Wales, my parents and I stayed at The Tegfan Guesthouse, a one-bedroom apartment, a five minute walk from the castle! The located was definitely ideal and convenient for a great price, plus our host was very approachable and professional!
Instagram Challenge #captivatingcastles
If you are on INSTAGRAM I have a challenge for you:
1. LIKE my FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/theworldasbecseesit
2. TAG your best castle photos on INSTAGRAM with the hashtag #captivatingcastles for your chance to be featured on the blog!
3. Feel free to follow along with my travel adventures on my Instagram: https://instagram.com/theworldasbecseesit/
Share your thoughts
1. Check out my other Captivating Castles Post: 5 Fun Facts and 5 Tips for your visit to Neuschwanstein Castle
2. LIKE this post if you are inspired to visit Caernarfon Castle!
4. Get involved with the #captivatingcastles Instagram challenge!
3. Have you ever been to Caernarfon Castle before? What was your experience?